No panic buying
The Philippines, where water dippers and handheld bidet sprayers are widely used in washrooms, isn’t about to run out of toilet paper. So filling an entire cabinet with hundreds of rolls of toilet paper is not only unnecessary but may also turn out to be unsanitary, as paper that is stocked too long tends to deteriorate and may even attract disease-causing microorganisms.
Workers in the agriculture and fisheries sector, many of whom must earn on a daily basis, also haven’t stopped producing their goods. Meat, fish, fruits and vegetables, rice, salt and sugar aren’t about to run out. Not even African swine fever has stopped local hog raisers from continuing to produce and sell pork and pork products.
The food processors that buy the agricultural raw materials also aren’t stopping production, so instant noodles, canned meat and sardines, pasteurized milk, coffee and other items with a long shelf life aren’t about to run out.
There has been a spike in demand for alcohol, hand sanitizers and of course face masks. Officials have assured the public that supplies of alcohol and hand sanitizers are adequate, and manufacturers are happily moving to meet the higher demand.
So there’s really no need to hoard any item or engage in panic buying amid the growing 2019 coronavirus disease contagion. Health professionals have been one in stressing that the most basic defense against COVID-19 – or any other pathogen, for that matter – is regular hand washing with soap and water, plus the observance of cough and sneeze etiquette. They have appealed to the public to refrain from stocking up on N-95 masks, so that those who truly need the item – the health professionals on the front line of the battle against COVID-19 – will not face shortages.
Hoarding anything and panic buying will also put at a disadvantage the millions of Filipinos who cannot afford to buy in bulk, and are left only to panic. This period of uncertainty calls for civic responsibility, cooperation with health authorities, and avoidance of any action that smacks of hysteria.(The Philippine Star )
NBA to suspend games after Jazz player tests positive for coronavirus
The NBA will suspend play starting on Thursday after a Utah Jazz player preliminarily tested positive for the new coronavirus, the league said Wednesday.
The test result was reported shortly before Utah’s game against the Thunder in Oklahoma City was to begin, and that game was abruptly postponed.
The league said the affected player was not at the arena.
“The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight’s schedule of games until further notice,” the league said. “The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.”
Team owners had been discussing Wednesday how best the league should respond to the coronavirus outbreak.
The Golden State Warriors confirmed they would host the Brooklyn Nets on Thursday in San Francisco behind closed doors after San Francisco city officials announced a two-week ban on all gatherings of more than 1,000 people.
NBA owners on Wednesday were discussing whether to delay the season or instead play in closed arenas league-wide.
The decision was made after the confusing scenes in Oklahoma City, where Jazz and Thunder players took the court to warm up, but shortly before the scheduled tip-off were sent to their locker rooms before police began to clear the Chesapeake Energy Arena.
The NBA did not name the player who had tested positive, but several US media outlets reported it was French defensive standout Rudy Gobert, who was listed first as questionable for the game and then as out with illness.
Teammate Emmanuel Mudiay was also listed as suffering from an undisclosed illness on the team’s injury report.
Six NBA games were scheduled for Wednesday and four were underway when the game in Oklahoma City was called off.
“It’s unprecedented,” Detroit coach Dwayne Casey — whose Pistons fell to the 76ers in Philadelphia — said of the decision to suspend the season. “I think it’s the prudent thing to do.” —Agence France-Presse
Kim Chiu addresses fans, assailants a week after ambush
MANILA, Philippines — A week after the unfortunate ambush happened to her, Kapamilya actress Kim Chiu updated her fans on social media.
In her Instagram account, Kim said the incident made her realize that life is short and precious.
“It has been a week since.... that day made me realize life is really short, life is very precious and most of all felt God’s presence he protected me, my PA and my driver,. None of us was hurt. He is really powerful amongst us all,” Kim started her lengthy post.
She added that what happened to her was a miracle.
“I must say it was a miracle. I could not explain the feeling but I know he was with us and so our guardian angels,” she said.
Kim also thanked the people who supported her through her trying times.
“I want to thank my AbsCbn family Direk Lauren Dyogi who picked me up at taping and secured my safety all through out and abscbn bosses Tita Cory, Sir Mark and Sir Carlo to my StarMagic family Tita Mariole and Mr M, my handler Ate Edith and my sister Ate Lakam, to my friend Ranvel Rufino for urgently went on set with lawyers with him thank you sobra sa inyo,” she said.
“So many people helped me get through this I am blessed to be surrounded with these kind of people they dont have to do this ang dami na nilang pinoroblema but still they insisted to help me. Now everything is slowly unfolding and I am glad that I am alive despite........ I realized a lot of things., you discover people who are willing to help, people who care for you and people who just wants to bring you down,” she added.
Kim also addressed her assailants, saying: “I don’t want to get mad at them or ‘hate’ them.”
She said the love she receives is enough for her to not feel hatred and bitterness over what happened.
“Puno ng pasasalmat ang puso ko, Im just happy that I am here posting another IG post and thanking HIM for this Precious life! Tuloy ang buhay,” she said.
“I want to thank tita cory and tita mariole for the continuous update. Thank you for always checking on me. Atty Aby and Atty Edwin thank you. Papa God maraming salamat po. Now no need to be scared. ???? Kung wala ka namang ginagawang masama, there is no need to be scared,” she ended her post.-Jan Milo Severo (Philstar.com)
This is your Contact Section. Go on, be outgoing and friendly! Let the world know the best way to reach you. Keep it amiable and light to encourage visitors to get in touch.
218 Hutchings St
Winnipeg, R2X 2Y2
Mon - Fri: 9am-6pm